|The History of Millstone New Jersey|
Added in 1976, Millstone Borough is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and encompasses 58 buildings. The borough possesses a military significance for 1700-1749, 1750-1799, 1850-1874.
(Left) The Van Doren Homestead Millstone, NJ
Christian Van Doren purchased several hundred acres from Proprietor Clement Plumstead. The land passed to his son John, who built this Dutch home in 1752 south of the church. One of the barns has been tastefully converted into a residence. Both were used by Washington and his officers after the victory at Princeton early in 1777.
|(Right) The interior of the Van Doren Homestead.|
|(Left) This River Side Villa was the home of Valerie Hastings, daughter of the late Chris Hockenbury, which was destroyed in a suspicious fire in the 1950's. Ms. Hastings remembers it as the "headquarters for the town swimming hole - the river".|
|(Right) The Disborough house, currently located at 1410 Main Street, was constructed in c. 1810.|
|(Left) The Millstone River Bridge (as viewed from the South).|
(Right) North River Street contained several businesses such as the Old Mill (pictured at right, just behind Millstone River Bridge), and the Wheelwright shop (left), which worked in conjunction with the Old Millstone Forge (pictured in center and left of the Old Mill). Thought to have been constructed prior to 1700, the Old Millstone Forge is known as the longest operating blacksmith shop in America. It served the area as an active blacksmith's shop until the death, in 1959, of it's last blacksmith Edward H. Wyckoff. The building was restored by area residents in the 1960s and is currently operated by the Millstone Forge Association. The shop is open to the public as a museum featuring smithing demonstrations and the history of blacksmithing. The Millstone River Bridge (pictured in right foreground) served between 1901 and 1930. It has since has been removed , however the abutments remain visible. This was probably the location of the wooden bridge of Revolutionary times. Across this bridge at the Van Lieu Tavern in East Millstone, General Howe headquartered in June, 1777.
|(Left) The Hillsborough Reformed Church which is currently located on the corner of Main Street and Amwell Road. The first structure, the "New Millstone Church", was built in c. 1768. The British burned the church in 1777, badly damaging the interior. Christopher Fredrich Foering, the first pastor, was an ardent patriot who organized a company of soilders for the Continental Army. The present Federal (Adam) style structure was built in 1828 to accomodate a congregation. The symmetrical fenestration and door arrangement are typical of the period. Memorial Hall, north of the church, was originally constructed by local citizens in 1860-61 as a multi-purpose "Lecture Hall" for non-religious community activities in adddition to religious worship.|
|(Right) Peace Brook in Millstone, NJ (current location unknown).|
|Please bear in mind that, except for the Hillsborough Reformed Church, Old Millstone Forge Museum, and the Borough Hall, all of the houses discussed or illustrated are private dwellings, and are not open to the public.|