Millstone Borough Schoolhouse/Borough Hall “Journey to the Past” Weekend Information and Activities
The Somerset County Cultural & Heritage Commission, in conjunction with local historical organizations and tourism partners, has designated the weekend of October 12th & 13th, 2013 “Weekend Journey through the Past.” During this two-day period, twenty-four (24) of the County’s significant historic sites will be open to the public providing an opportunity for people of all ages to visit some of Somerset County’s historic treasures.
Millstone’s Borough Hall, which for almost a century served the Millstone/Hillsborough area as a one-room schoolhouse, is one of the 24 historic sites taking part in the “Weekend Journey to the Past”. The building will be open from 10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. on Saturday, October 12 and 12:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. on Sunday, October 13.
This one-room brick schoolhouse, built in 1860 on the west bank of the Millstone River in the Borough of Millstone, was used as a school until 1944. The masonry building, designed in the new “reformed” style current in mid 19th America, is rectangular in shape with a large, light-filled meeting room, a simple gable roof, and a Gothic Revival style window above the entry. The original structure included a belfry with a bell to call the students to class. One teacher usually taught seven grades and occasionally eight grades. The Board of Education transferred the building to the Borough of Millstone in 1949, at which time it became Millstone’s Borough Hall. During much of the year, the building is used for Borough meetings, and holiday children’s programs, and an on-going exhibition of historic photographs.
This building has been beautifully restored with the aid of a Historic Preservation Grant from the Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders administered by the Somerset County Cultural and heritage Commission. You can still see the old blackboards and original tin ceiling.
Weekend Journey Activities:
• Learn about 19th and early 20th century rules for teachers and students, and about the development of school architecture in New Jersey.
• Examine reproductions of 18th, 19th, and 20th century maps to learn about the early history of Somerset County.
• Look through an old stereoscope at reproductions of photographs from the Library of Congress. See early American scenes in 3D.
• Enjoy an exhibition of old-time children’s books and schoolbooks and coloring activities focusing on children’s fashions throughout the years.
Original student school-desks will be on view in the schoolhouse during the “Weekend Journey to the Past”. Docents will be on hand to answer questions. Visitors will also have the option to use Millstone’s self-guided tour map to explore the historic Borough of Millstone.
Admission and all activities are FREE!
Parking is available in the Borough Hall parking lot in front of the building
ADA Accessibility: Accessible parking, entrance, and restroom.